Radon comes from the natural breakdown of uranium in soil, rock and water. Typically the air pressure inside your home is lower than the pressure in the soil around your home's foundation. Due to this difference, your house acts like a vacuum, drawing radon gas in through foundation cracks and other openings of your home.

Radon may also be present in well water and can be released into the air in your home when water is used for showering and other household uses.The release of this radioactive gas enters the air you breathe, causing a potential health risk to you and your family. Radon gas can be found anywhere. It can get into any type of building -- homes, offices, and schools -- and build up to high levels.

What you should know about Radon

Radon is a cancer-causing radioactive gas. You cannot see, smell or taste it, but it may be a problem in your home. When you breathe air-containing radon, you increase your risk of lung cancer. In fact, the Surgeon General has warned that radon is the second leading cause of lung cancer, the first among non-smokers.

Testing your home for radon is the only way to find out about your home's radon level. The EPA and the Surgeon General recommend testing of all homes below the third floor.

Schedule your Radon Test with InspectorNick.com

Understanding Radon Levels

A radon report will give you a measurement reading in Picocuries Per Liter (pCi/L.) If your reading is over 4 pCi/L, you may want to consider fixing your home. If you smoke, you're at an even greater risk for lung cancer and health concerns. All smokers should have their homes tested for radon.

Review this chart by the Missouri Department of Health of the risk of radon exposure for smokers & non-smokers.

What if I Have a Radon Problem?

A home that has over 4 pCi/L should be fixed. A certified radon professional can remove the high levels of gas and make your home safe. Very high levels can be reduced to acceptable levels. See our recommended service providers for a Kansas City radon mitigation service.

Should I Buy a House with High Radon Levels?

The EPA recommends that you obtain the radon level in the home you are considering buying through a certified radon tester. If elevated levels are found, it is simple to reduce the levels. In most cases, a professional can accomplish this at reasonable cost through a certified radon professional removal service, or through a homeowner installed mitigation system that adheres to the EPA's approved methods for reduction of radon in a residential structure.

When you test before you purchase, and results are high, you can negotiate the cost of mitigation into the final purchase price of the home. When it comes time to sell this home you now have "the ball" because you won't have to worry about the buyers request for radon testing, knowing it has been taken care of or that no concern exist.